On Monday October 12, 2015, NAKIVO released version 5.8 that can be installed directly onto a Western Digital NAS, thus creating a simple, fast, and affordable VM backup appliance, which can be used both onsite and offsite. Here are some of the details:
- NAKIVO Backup & Replication v5.8 can be installed directly onto Western Digital My Cloud DL series NAS.
- While NAKIVO Backup & Replication is already on par with or faster than competition in terms of backup performance, we are seeing up to 1.6X performance boost when our product is deployed directly on a Western Digital NAS. This is because backup data is written directly to NAS disks, bypassing file protocols such as NFS and CIFS.
- NAKIVO Backup & Replication v5.8 can be deployed even on entry-level NAS devices, as the product requires just 2 CPU cores and 1 GB of RAM to be fully operational, and still deliver high backup speeds. For example, the Western Digital DL 2100 NAS with 12 TBs of storage has a list price of less than $850 which is enough for the data backup needs of a typical VMware Essentials environment.
- When installed on a NAS, NAKIVO Backup & Replication delivers a number of benefits:
- All-in-one VM data protection – a VM backup appliance combines backup software, data deduplication, and backup hardware in a single solution that is affordable (5X vs. competition), fast (over 1 Gbps backup), reliable (Western Digital + NAKIVO), and easy to manage. Add a comment